Okay, WELCOME to a subcategory of ‘The Wedding Series’ – ‘Questions To Ask…’!
Viewing venues and doing your research is really fun, but what about when you get to your meetings? What are the important questions to ask before signing that contract? Same applies for your photographer, baker, florist…hence this new little category!
Our venue coordinator is amazing, and a lot of these questions were actually answered during our initial show around/sit down (that level of efficiency gave me real peace of mind moving forward!), but here’s the list I compiled last March!
And let me just point out too, that this is the list for the initial meeting, when you and your fiance are in the midst of venue viewings and trying to get a feel for which venue fits you best. There will be PLENTY more questions you’ll want to ask during the planning process, but these are the ones you want to know before booking.
Questions To Ask: Your Venue
- Is wedding insurance included in the price?
- How long can you hold the date we want?
- Chair decor – is it included in the package/options/prices?
- Vendors – do you have suppliers you recommend/work with regularly?
- Can we have lit candles?
- Do you have any rules about confetti, fireworks or other decorations?
- Will we have to hire/pay extra for chairs, glassware, table cloths etc?
- What are our lighting options for the reception?
- Is there a safe place for gifts?
- Is VAT included in the final price?
- Accommodation – do guests pay us, or the venue directly?
- Do you provide mics for speeches?
- Will we need to vacate any rooms for setting up (at any time during the day)? If so, what are our options during that time?
- Does the bar take cash or card?
- Is there a schedule for; initial deposit, final payment, charges for staff.
- Will the venue clear everything away afterwards?
- When can we start setting up?
- Do you have public liability insurance?
- What are your usual timings for the day (ceremony, food etc)?
- Can we move things around to decorate?
- Can we have a written confirmation email and contract?
- Diameter of circular tables (how much room will we have for centre pieces)?
- Does the DJ provide their own decorations (star cloths, uplights etc)?
- Do you provide easels for signs?
- Do you provide a cake stand and knife?
- Do you host more than one event at a time?
- Do you allow sparklers?
- How many guests can you accommodate in the day/evening?
- Which rooms are licensed for civil ceremonies?
- Do you/how do you cater for food allergies/vegetarians/vegans?
As I said, there will be LOADSSSS more questions that will come up during the planning process, these are just the ones to get you going before you sign on the dotted line. There are (of course) more questions that you can ask (questions that will be on wedding sites and other articles), but a lot of these will actually be answered on the venue’s website/in the brochure, before you even go for a viewing!
Do you offer a complimentary menu tasting?
How much wine is included per person?
What evening food do you offer?
…which is why they haven’t been included in my list. These are all the questions we asked, got firm answers right there on the spot, and we came back feeling very well informed – and in a good place to move forward with the booking!
ONLY 3 WEEKS TO GO NOW!